ZFS: "Cannot replace a replacing drive"

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Mon May 3 15:48:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Wes Morgan <morganw at chemikals.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Wes Morgan wrote:
>  > On Thu, 29 Apr 2010, Freddie Cash wrote:

> issue,
> at the
> common:  1
> can be
> fixing
> our

> > > increase the available storage space in the pool (process went
> flawlessly on
> > > the other storage server).  First 3 disks in the vdev replaced without
> > > issues.
>
> Also, where is the original 500gb drive (#4) that you replaced? You should
> be able to put that drive back in and let it resilver itself to catch back
> up to the other devices, then cancel the replacement.

That worked.  :)

I pulled the 1.5 TB drive from the system, inserted the original 500 GB
drive, and ZFS detected it and marked it as online, with the 1.5 TB as
faulted.  At that point, I was able to "zpool detach" the 1.5 TB drive,
putting the pool back into the original configuration, and online state.

After that, I "zpool offline" the 500 GB drive, replace it with a new 1.5 TB
drive, and "zpool replace".  And it's happily re-silvering the drive.  In
35h, it should be complete.

Thankfully, the original drive was not faulty and was only being replaced to
increase the size.  If the original drive was dead, I'd probably be hooped.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com