Tmpfs elimination of double-copy

Tue Jun 22 08:30:08 UTC 2010

Quoting Kostik Belousov <kostikbel at gmail.com> (from Tue, 22 Jun 2010
11:10:05 +0300):

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 09:13:40AM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

>> Did you measure the performance before/after? If not, what are your
>> performance expectations? I don't expect we get double the
>> performance, but if every data of a write is copied twice, I would
>> guess there is a measurable benefit.
> No, I did not bothered. Real benefit of the change is the memory saving.

For me the real benefit is that it survives a fsx run now. Anyone can
buy more money and faster machines, but stability...

This does not mean I do not appreciate the memory saving (when the
change hits one of my machines, I may decide to use tmpfs in places
where I didn't use it before because of memory size concerns).

That being said, I'm sure that mentioning the performance aspect
additionally to the fsx and memory parts may be good in the release
notes (and/or a blog/whatever post of someone).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
When I demanded of my friend what viands he preferred,
He quoth: "A large cold bottle, and a small hot bird!"