Odd network issues on ZFS based NFS server

Anders Nordby anders at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 8 08:56:15 UTC 2010

Hi!

I have a file server running 8.1-PRERELEASE amd64, where I share some
filesystems using NFS and Samba. After running for a day or two, the
server starts to get around 25% packet loss, browsing directories across
NFS gets really slow etc. Rebooting solves it until it happens again.
Has anyone experienced anything similar? I had this issue in FreeBSD 7
as well, upgrading did not help.

PS: I used mountd and /etc/exports to share the filesystems. I also
regularly run zpool status from monitoring systems. I also replaced the
server physically, changed switch ports, cables etc. So it does not seem
to be a problem with hardware.

Bye,

--
Anders.