panic: handle_written_inodeblock: bad size

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Tue Jul 20 20:50:57 UTC 2010

On 2010-Jul-20 10:57:09 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 08:44:51AM -0700, Kirk McKusick wrote:
>> So, it is almost always possible to make your way to fs_fsmnt.
>> Since soft updates only runs on mounted filesystems, you will never
>> have a case where the fs_fsmnt has not been filled in for you.
>
>Oh, cool.  I was taking the paranoid approach ("does this really
>point to something that's valid?  What if...").  :-)

In the case of panic messages, you probably should err on the side of
paranoia.  By definition, getting to the point where you need to call
panic(9) means something unexpected has happened and it's probably not
being excessively paranoid to explicitly check each pointer before
de-referencing it.

--
Peter Jeremy