Freebsd 8 Release /usr Die After host VMWARE Crash

Andrew Snow andrew at modulus.org
Fri Jul 9 01:42:37 UTC 2010

On 08/07/10 23:59, Diego Arias wrote:
> /dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
>
> - the machine was installed on VirtualBox then migrated to VMWARE with
> the convert utility from Virtualbox

Ahh, I think this is the problem.  When converting from VBox, it uses an
ATA disk, instead of VMWare's default of SCSI guest disks.

This means FreeBSD enables the ATA write cache by default, which VMware
honors and might be prone to lose data on power outage.

I suspect you should either set hw.ata.wc=0 in loader.conf, or switch to
SCSI gues disk type.

But its still possible there was CPU/RAM problems and you were just
lucky that the other guest disks didnt get corrupt as they may not have
been writing to directory metadata at the time of crash.

- Andrew