Freebsd 8 Release /usr Die After host VMWARE Crash

Simun Mikecin numisemis at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 07:45:38 UTC 2010

----- Original Message ----

AFAIK virtual environments ignore disk sync requests by default. For example, in
VirtualBox they are ignored by default, by you could enable it if you want (with
a performance penalty). Haven't used VMWare, so not 100% sure about it, maybe
someone more knowledgable with VMWare knows what it's defaults are.

Described fsck errors are the same if you use a lying ATA drive (disk that
reports that it has written data, but it has not) with UFS2+softupdates.
Solution for a lying ATA drive is to use a filesystem that uses disk write cache
flushing, like UFS2+gjournal or ZFS. I suppose UFS journaling would be ok, too,
but haven't used it myself, so cannot comment on that.
If VMWare does not honor disk write cache flushing then described solutions
would not work on it.