Freebsd 8 Release /usr Die After host VMWARE Crash

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Wed Jul 7 20:46:05 UTC 2010

On 7/7/10 12:04 PM, Diego Arias wrote:
> Hi i posted this to questions but gets no answer, so i repost it here
> because i think this is important.
>
> I have a VM Running FreeBSD 8 as a small router/proxy/fetchmail/openvpn.
>   The host system is a VMWARE ESX 4 Update 2 running on 2 HP DL460G1 Blade
> Systems. Unfortunately the Blade Enclosure (a C7000 From HP) start having
> malfunction so i have to power it off with blades still on. After the power
> loss the VMWARE came up but FreeBSD ask por FSCK on single user mode, so i
> run it fsck -y on all partitions. After FSCK freebsd wont came up with error
> of getty not found. i restart it in single use mode and mount /usr but no
> luck, all the data was gone and only got a lost+found directory with crazy
> files on it.
>
> I have restored the machine from a backup with minimum data loss only the
> fetchmail stuff but i want that some help me to know what happen if there is
> a bug or is there any way to recover the data.
>
> the other machines (Mostly Windows 2003/2008/2008R2) came up without
> problems.
>
> All the data is stored on an EMC Clarion SAN
>
> Partitions:
>
> %cat /etc/fstab
> # Device Mountpoint FStype Options Dump Pass#
> /dev/ad0s1b none swap sw 0 0
> /dev/ad0s1a / ufs rw 1 1
> /dev/ad0s1e /tmp ufs rw 2 2
> /dev/ad0s1f /usr ufs rw 2 2
> /dev/ad0s1d /var ufs rw 2 2
> /dev/acd0 /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0
>

> Thanks, I will provide anything info you need.

unfortunately shutting down almost any system in an 'unexpected'
manner can produce problems like this. The new file systems are
better in this regard but virtualization adds a whole new layer of
pain to the problem. Not only does the guest have to save everything,
but the host has to sync everything as well.