HAST and CARP

Mikolaj Golub to.my.trociny at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 06:45:53 UTC 2010

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 22:41:40 +0900 hiroshi at soupacific.com wrote:

 >> You should have a setup so when the master is rebooted after the reboot it
 >> checks the status of other node and sets its own role accordingly (so there
 >> would not be two masters simultaneously). Software I use in my setup (our home
 >> made application) does this well. sysutils/heartbeat should work fine too. As
 >> for me carp might not do well for this but I am not very experienced with carp
 >> so I can be wrong.

 h> By CARP, ifconfig carp0 advskew {bigger value than secondary} on
 h> console sets CARP as secondary.

 h> How do you think this idea ?

I think you could make a configuration so when hostB (secondary) switches to
master it changes advskew to the value lower then on hostA. In this way after
hostA reboot it will have higher advskew and will be forced to do as a
secondary. Then after the nodes are synchronized you can switch to the initial
state restoring initial value of advskew on hostB.

--
Mikolaj Golub