ZFS filesystem version confusion

Lucas James lucas.james at ldjcs.com.au
Mon Jan 11 22:16:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 08:46:38 am Xin LI wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Yuri Pankov <yuri.pankov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was somewhat confused by the output of `zfs get version <fs>` being 3,
> > when dmesg reads 'ZFS filesystem version 14'. Shouldn't we use
> > ZPL_VERSION_STRING in
> > sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/zfs_vfsops.c instead of
> > SPA_VERSION_STRING to report ZFS filesystem version?
>
> I think it should be "ZFS Pool Version 14"...

I haven't upgraded to 14 yet, but:

> zfs get version zroot
NAME   PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
zroot  version   3        -
> zpool get version zroot
NAME   PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
zroot  version   13       default
> dmesg|grep ZFS
ZFS NOTICE: Prefetch is disabled by default on i386 -- to enable,
ZFS filesystem version 13
ZFS storage pool version 13

Note the version in the output of dmesg for filesystem version.

> zfs upgrade -v
The following filesystem versions are supported:

VER  DESCRIPTION
 1   Initial ZFS filesystem version
 2   Enhanced directory entries
 3   Case insensitive and File system unique identifer (FUID)

[...]

regards,
Lucas

--
Filtering is what YOU do to your internet.
Censorship is what THEY do to your internet.