HAST: file name consistency

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 27 21:11:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:02:23AM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
> Just curious:  why is the config file called hast.conf, but all the RC vars
> and scripts use hastd?  Shouldn't it all be "hastd" or all "hast"?
>
> For example, if the rc script is hastd, the rcvar is hastd_enable, shouldn't
> the config file be called hastd.conf, and the control program called
> hastdctl?
>
> Or, if the config file is hast.conf and the control program is hastctl,
> shouldn't the rcvar and script be just hast/hast_enable?
>
> Just seems strange to have some things called "hast" and other things called
> "hastd" when it's all the same program/setup.
>
> Perhaps I'm being too pedantic?

Nope, I also did some thinking about this while I was working on it.
Actually the configuration file name was hastd.conf for some time, but I
changed it to hast.conf at the end.

The reason for hast.conf is that it is not only used by hastd(8) daemon,
but also by hastctl(8) control utility, so bascially by entire HAST
software. That's why hastd.conf was in my opinion confusing, as it
suggested that it was only used by the hastd(8) daemon.

The rc.d/hastd script is there to start hastd(8) daemon. That's the only
thing it does. It doesn't even configure resources role on start using
hastctl(8) (it only stops resources on shutdown). That's why script and
variables are named 'hastd*' and not 'hast*'.

Now hastctl name. HAST is the software (project) name.
hastctl means HAST-_c_on_t_ro_l_ just like hastd means HAST-_d_aemon.
hastctl doesn't only control hastd, but can do other things too, eg.
initialize metadata (create subcommand) and dump metadata (dump
subcommand) without communicating with hastd.

Does that make sense for you?