Problem with writing an UFS2 to iStore Storage System / can't find block in cyl 0 / bad magic number

Erik Scholtz, ArgonSoft GmbH escholtz at argonsoft.de
Wed Feb 24 12:42:25 UTC 2010

Miroslav,

thanks for your reply. No - I haven't tried this yet and so did this a
minute ago, but got stucked on the second command:

|# gpart create -s GPT da0
|# fdisk /dev/da0
|******* Working on device /dev/da0 *******

      |acpi0_check: ram0 attached
|parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:

                                |acpi0_check: npx0 attached55
sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)
|                      acpi0_check: acpi0 attached
|Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
|parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
|cylinders=1305 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)
|
|Media sector size is 512
|Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
|Information from DOS bootblock is:
|The data for partition 1 is:
|sysid 238 (0xee),(EFI GPT)
|    start 1, size 20971519 (10239 Meg), flag 0
|	beg: cyl 1023/ head 255/ sector 63;
|	end: cyl 1023/ head 255/ sector 63
|The data for partition 2 is:
|<UNUSED>
|The data for partition 3 is:
|<UNUSED>
|The data for partition 4 is:
|<UNUSED>
|
|# gpart add -b 1 -s 20971519 -t freebsd-ufs -l MyLabel da0
|gpart: start '1': Invalid argument
|
|# gpart add -b 34 -s 20971519 -t freebsd-ufs -l MyLabel da0
|gpart: size '20971519': Invalid argument
|
|# gpart add -b 34 -s 20971485 -t freebsd-ufs -l MyLabel da0
|gpart: size '20971485': Invalid argument

Since gpart set the begin (start) on 1 and not on 34, I changed the -b
option too. After failing this, I set the begin to 34 as in your
example, which did not work either. Then I reduced the size (since when
the start is later, it reduces the size too), which also did not work.

Any further ideas?
Greetings,
Erik

---