HAST (Highly Available Storage) now in HEAD.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 19 20:07:37 UTC 2010

Hi.

Yesterday I committed HAST to the HEAD branch.

HAST allows to transparently store data on two physically separated
machines connected over the TCP/IP network. HAST works in
Primary-Secondary (Master-Backup, Master-Slave) configuration, which
means that only one of the cluster nodes can be active at any given
time. Only Primary node is able to handle I/O requests to HAST-managed
devices. Currently HAST is limited to two cluster nodes in total.

HAST operates on block level - it provides disk-like devices in
/dev/hast/ directory for use by file systems and/or applications.
Working on block level makes it transparent for file systems and
applications. There in no difference between using HAST-provided device
and raw disk, partition, etc. All of them are just regular GEOM
providers in FreeBSD.

For more information please consult hastd(8), hastctl(8) and
hast.conf(5) manual pages, as well as:

	http://wiki.FreeBSD.org/HAST

On the wiki page above you should find instructions how to initialize
hast and integrate it with ucarp.

Let me know (using freebsd-fs at FreeBSD.org mailing list) if you have and
questions or comments.

And last, but not least, I'd like to thank sponsorswho made this
projects possible:

	The FreeBSD Foundation, http://www.freebsdfoundation.org
	OMCnet Internet Service GmbH, http://www.omc.net
	TransIP BV, http://www.transip.nl