[arc_summary.pl/arcstat.pl] Adjustments, PR & Requests

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Wed Feb 17 17:13:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:35, Alexander@ wrote:
> Quoting jhell <jhell at DataIX.net> (from Wed, 17 Feb 2010 06:31:24 -0500):
>
>> Due to the nature of this thread and its current list involvement I am
>> going to be starting a new thread in freebsd-filesystems@ just for
>> arc_summary.pl tomorrow night with the subject below.
>>
>> [arc_summary.pl] Adjustments, PR & Requests
>
> Good idea.
>
> I have not looked at the perl code, but I wonder if it would be possbile to
> have one perl script which works on FreeBSD and Solaris. This way people do
> not need to reinvent the wheel.

I had that on the back of my mind during a few changes to the script that
are FreeBSD specific. Fortunately the actual changes made to this could be
wrapped up by a minimal amount of if statements that could separate the
FreeBSD side from the original Solaris output restoring common
functionality to both sides.

As for arcstat.pl I am not sure at this point what it would take to
convert that to something that would run on both or even if the
modifications to arcstat.pl that are FreeBSD specific would run on a
Solaris box as-is.

Ill give all this some testing over the next week and see what I come up
with. If anyone wants to submit some patches to the two adjustments
discussed above I would love to include them or at least build upon the
ideas.

> Regarding the arcstats.pl I will have a look later at adding the link to the
> wiki, maybe tomorrow. I just had a dental OP 3 hours ago, so I just quickly
> browse through my mails while holding a bag of ice to one side of my face...

Thanks.

Hope you feel better. I hate having dental work done. Though I hadn't had
much I did have 5 teeth pulled at the same time once and ouch! is about
what sums it up.

> Bye,
> Alexander.

Regards,