kern/153552: [zfs] zfsboot from 8.2-RC1 freeze at boot time

Henri Hennebert hlh at restart.be
Fri Dec 31 15:10:12 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR kern/153552; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Henri Hennebert <hlh at restart.be>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, hlh at restart.be
Subject: Re: kern/153552: [zfs] zfsboot from 8.2-RC1 freeze at boot time
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 16:07:45 +0100

 I'm using gpt on all my computers except the one which is hosted at OVH
 (http://www.ovh.com/).

 The standard procedure offered by OVH use MBR and install a slice of 6GB
 with FreeBSD 8.0. In case of problem I may ask (with the web interface)
 a net boot giving me a mfsBSD under FreeBSD 8.0.

 As I want to follow each release and use the latest ZFS, I keep the
 first slice under UFS and upgrade it to 8.x. The rest of the disk is a
 slice with ZFS. In normal use, this slice is used.

 In case of problem, I can switch to the first slice and make any repair
 on the second one because it contain a kernel able to import the ZPOOL.
 If the kernel is bad, I can netboot under 8.0, push any correction on
 the UFS slice, reboot from it and put the correction on the ZFS slice.

 I can repartition the disk with gpt but I would lost my data under ZFS.
 (Yes I have a backup but I prefer to keep all this running).

 On my netbook, I have a first slice with Windows7 preinstalled and the
 second one with ZFS. I have no CD allowing me to reinstall windows7.

 BTW thank you for your great work on ZFS.

 Henri