stale zpool: how to rename?

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 13 10:07:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 09:49:07PM +0300, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> how can I clear stale traces of old pool?
>
> [this is on fresh stable/8]
>
> Now I have:
>
> root at ogre2:~# zpool import
>   pool: og
>     id: 4146846692207551713
>  state: UNAVAIL
> status: One or more devices are missing from the system.
> action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing
>         devices and try again.
>    see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-3C
> config:
>
>         og          UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas
>           mirror    UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas
>             da0     UNAVAIL  cannot open
>             da1     UNAVAIL  cannot open
> root at ogre2:~# zpool status
>   pool: o
>  state: ONLINE
>  scrub: none requested
> config:
>
>         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>         o           ONLINE       0     0     0
>           mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
>             da0h    ONLINE       0     0     0
>             da1h    ONLINE       0     0     0

You have stale ZFS metadata on da0 and da1, which are not really usable,
but still detectable. And you have new pool on da[01]h. There is not
much you can do apart of detaching one partition from the 'o' pool,
clearing few first and few last megabytes on the disk, recreating
partition, and reattaching it to the pool. Then repeating the operation
with the other disk.