how to get rid of stale pool? [was (incorrect) stale zpool: how to rename?]

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Sat Dec 11 20:05:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010, Freddie Cash wrote:

FC> zero out the first and last MB of the disk.
FC>
FC> ZFS stores the GPT and other pool metadata in those two locations.
FC> It's nowhere near a MB in size, but if you clear out the first and
FC> last MB, you're guaranteed to clear out all traces of ZFS metadata.

well, bot what if I would have keep my existing pool on these disks? ;-)

On the other hand, it's a mirror, and not too heavylu used, so I can remove
second disk, clean it up, add it back, resilver, then do the same on the first
one;

however, it seems to be a bit more generic problem: stale pool referring
no-longre-accessible devices seem to be unclearable...

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]