TRIM support for UFS?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Dec 7 15:31:32 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've bought an OCZ Vertex2 E (120 GB SSD) and installed
FreeBSD i386 stable/8 on it, using UFS (UFS2, to be exact).
I've made sure that the partitions are aligned properly,
and used newfs with 4k fragsize and 32k blocksize.
It works very well so far.

Now, the only thing missing would be TRIM support for UFS.
I did some research and found the following patch:

http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/ufsdel.patch

Apparently that patch is supposed to make UFS use TRIM,
among other things.  However, the patch seems to be rather
old (time stamp says 2007-02-03), and nothing has been
comitted to current or stable so far (I've grepped through
the past 12 months of SVN logs, after TRIM support was
added to ada(4) by mav@).

So, my question is, are there plans to add TRIM support
to UFS?  Is anyone working on it?  Or is it already there
and I just overlooked it?

Best regards
   Oliver

"A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier
to program in than some that do."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie