Fwd: zpool bootfs property

Joshua Isom jrisom at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 07:08:01 UTC 2010

Note: Redirected here from -questions due to lack of replies and
increased relevancy here.

I was just able to change my zfs boot pool to raid0 by resetting the
bootfs property, adding the slice, and setting it back.  I was able to
find a webpage talking about importing FreeBSD zfs pools into
opensolaris and having problems with disk management because of the
bootfs property.  With the property set, `zpool add ...` prints out
"root pool can not have multiple vdevs or separate logs" which confused
me because of FreeBSD supporting booting from raidz drives.  So now I
wonder, is the bootfs property needed in FreeBSD?  If it needs set for
at least booting, then will having it set cause headaches when working
with a raidz pool and a failed drive?  And should the wiki be updated?