Converting sysinstalled FreeBSD into ZFS-only server.

Philipp Wuensche cryx-freebsd at h3q.com
Sun Aug 15 23:38:05 UTC 2010

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> I'm also open to comments on the layout I proposed. I use it for quite a
> while now and I tried different ones before too, but this one I simply
> find the best. If our official installer will support creating ZFS-only
> install, I'll be forcing this layout, so if you think something is
> _very_ wrong about it, let me know.

NIce idea, using dummy-filesystems to get filesystems in the right position!

But my fear is that the usage of dummy-filesystem like system/usr and
system/var will confuse some users.

If someone starts to mess around in /var/db or some other subdirectory
in /usr or /var and thinks he is safe by taking a snapshot of /var or
/usr before, just to find out those snapshots didn't include stuff he
messed around with.

Greetings,
Philipp