Converting sysinstalled FreeBSD into ZFS-only server.

Martin Simmons martin at lispworks.com
Tue Aug 10 11:14:03 UTC 2010

> 3. Could you be more verbose about your ZFS layout, what major advantages
> it provide against for example the following:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot. I found it very interesting
> but I need more info.

Are you referring to mounting "/" from the inner dataset called system/root
(rather that using the root dataset like in GPTZFSBoot)?

I think an inner dataset is better for "/" because it gives you more
flexibility later.  In particular, you can do zfs destroy on it (which is
impossible on the root dataset).  You can also have alternate roots for
different OS versions.

__Martin