NFSv4 permissions issues

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Sun Aug 1 01:58:02 UTC 2010

[stuff snipped for brevity]
> At the time the user/groups were showing up as root:joe.

Ok, so an "ls -lg" on the NFSv4 mounted volume showed the files
owned by root/joe? If so, nfsuserd seems to be working.

Does root and joe have the same uid and gid #s on the client
and server. NFSv4 will be pickier about the gid, so make sure
joe is in both the client and server as the same gid#.

> Is snoop trace an strace?

I was referring to using snoop to capture packets and then
look at them. On Solaris I use something like:
# snoop -q -o xx.cap host <client_host>
- I run an offending command(s), then kill the above and:
# snoop -t r -v -i xx.cap > xx
The file "xx" now has a verbose description of the packets.
Take a look at the AUTH_SYS part of the RPC header (where the
uid and gids live) and the various attributes in the request
that probably failed with NFS4ERR_ACCESS.

Alternately, you can use wireshark. (tcpdump knows diddly
about NFSv4, so it can only be used for the packet capture
and not the analysis.

rick