ISO9660 4GB directory structures boundary limit and growisofs

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Apr 27 22:59:39 UTC 2010

Hi,
Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On 4/19/10, Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> From the source code of groisofs.c:
> >>
> >>  * - DVD+R Double Layer support;
> >>  * - -use-the-force-luke=4gms to allow ISO9660 directory structures
> >>  *   to cross 4GB boundary, the option is effective only with DVD+R DL
> >>  *   and for data to be accessible under Linux isofs a kernel patch is
> >>  *   required;
> >>
> >> So I'm guessing it does something non standard, particularly if
> >> windows also refuses to see the data.
> >
> > That is pretty old, from 2.4 era, it was added after it was found that
> > isofs had bug. Windows at least "try" to show something - only one
> > session, but fourth and not second session crossed 4GB limit.
> >
> > The source also claims that in BD case there is no need for _force_
> > switch at all.
> >

> Mounting with -norrip shows all sessions.
> Kernel displays "RRIP without PX field?" if I try to mount "normal" way.

Might this help ?
Kernel config /sys/conf/NOTES
options         UDF                     #Universal Disk Format

My config notes
        /* Allows DVDs with files > 2 Gig, to avoid:
         *      "ls: file_about_2.5gig.ts:
         *       Value too large to be stored in data type"
         * ports/sysutils/k3b can use it to write eg 4G+ files.
         */

Cheers,
Julian
--