ZFS - Unable to offline drive in raidz1 based pool

Aaron Hurt aaron at goflexitllc.com
Mon Sep 21 11:06:22 UTC 2009

Kurt Touet wrote:
> I am using ZFS pool based on a 4-drive raidz1 setup for storage.  I
> believe that one of the drives is failing, and I'd like to
> remove/replace it.  The drive has been causing some issues (such as
> becoming non-responsive and hanging the system with timeouts), so I'd
> like to offline it, and then run in degraded mode until I can grab a
> new drive (tomorrow).  However, when I disconnected the drive (pulled
> the plug, not using a zpool offline command), the following occurred:
>
>         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>         storage     FAULTED       0     0     1
>           raidz1    DEGRADED     0     0     0
>             ad14    ONLINE       0     0     0
>             ad6     UNAVAIL      0     0     0
>             ad12    ONLINE       0     0     0
>             ad4     ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> Note: That's my recreation of the output... not the actual text.
>
> At this point, I was unable to to do anything with the pool... and all
> data was inaccessible.  Fortunately, the after sitting pulled for a
> bit, I tried putting the failing drive back into the array, and it
> booted properly.  Of course, I still want to replace it, but this is
> what happens when I try to take it offline:
>
> monolith# zpool status storage
>   pool: storage
>  state: ONLINE
>  scrub: none requested
> config:
>
>         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>         storage     ONLINE       0     0     0
>           raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
>             ad14    ONLINE       0     0     0
>             ad6     ONLINE       0     0     0
>             ad12    ONLINE       0     0     0
>             ad4     ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors
> monolith# zpool offline storage ad6
> cannot offline ad6: no valid replicas
> monolith# uname -a
> FreeBSD monolith 8.0-RC1 FreeBSD 8.0-RC1 #2 r197370: Sun Sep 20
> 15:32:08 CST 2009     k at monolith:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MONOLITH  amd64
>
> If the array is online and healthy, why can't I simply offline a drive
> and then replace it afterwards?  Any thoughts?   Also, how does a
> degraded raidz1 array end up faulting the entire pool?
>
> Thanks,
> -kurt
>
> !DSPAM:2,4ab6ac55126167777521459!

I'm not sure why it would be giving you that message.  In a raidz1 you
should be able to sustain one failure.  The only thing that comes to
mind this early in the morning would be that somehow your data
replication across your discs isn't totally in sync.  I would suggest
you try a scrub and then see if you can remove the drive afterwards.

Aaron Hurt
Managing Partner
Flex I.T., LLC
611 Commerce Street