Fw: Linux/KDE and NFS locking on 7-stable

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Thu Sep 17 14:58:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Gerrit Kühn wrote:

> I upgraded a FreeBSD fileserver last week from 7.0-stable to 7.2-stable
> and experience some weird problems now with Linux NFS clients.
> The Linux Clients mount their home directories via nfs. I usually use
> "nolock" on the client side, because file locking was always troublesome
> in the past. On the Clients the users run kde 3.5 or 4.2.
> After the update of the server kde 3.5 quit starting up (after logging
> in with kdm) on the spalsh screen and comes up with some kind of I/O error
> when writing to the home dir. At the same time the server complains about
>
> kernel: NLM: failed to contact remote rpcbind, stat = 5, port = 28416

I think this happens when the nlm in the server tries to contact the
client. I believe setting the following in the server's /etc/rc.conf
and rebooting the server (or just killing off lockd on the server),
combined with "nolock" as you have on the above Linux mount, might
work ok:
 	rpc_lockd_enable="NO"
 	rpc_statd_enable="NO"

Imo, the nlm protocol was poorly designed and has always resulted in
interoperability problems. Although I fiddle with NFS, I avoid the NLM
like the plague:-)

Good luck with it, rick
ps: If you need to run the lockd on the server, starting the lockd in
     the Linux client might help, although I'd still use "nolock" on
     the Linux mount.