Fw: Linux/KDE and NFS locking on 7-stable

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Fri Oct 2 13:47:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:56:59 -0400 (EDT) Rick Macklem
<rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote about Re: Fw: Linux/KDE and NFS locking on
7-stable:

First of all, thanks to Rick for his explatations.

RM> > RM> I believe setting the following in the server's /etc/rc.conf
RM> > RM> and rebooting the server (or just killing off lockd on the
RM> > RM> server), combined with "nolock" as you have on the above Linux
RM> > RM> mount, might work ok:
RM> > RM>  	rpc_lockd_enable="NO"
RM> > RM>  	rpc_statd_enable="NO"
RM> >
RM> > I did not try that so far, as there are some clients which seem to
RM> > work fine with locking.

Well, in the meantime I tried more or less each and every combination of
client and server setting I could think of.
My first result is that locking almost every time causes troubles, because
is does not work over NAT.
However, even putting the server in the same subnet and using it without
NAT did not make everything work with locking.

Right now it looks like after booting the client KDE logins *never* work
(all other nfs stuff is fine, though). After a failed login, I can umount
and remount the home dir and try to login again. After doing so for some
time, it suddenly works (and continues to work) obviously regardless of
mount options being changed.
Turning off lockd and statd on the server side does not influence this
behaviour.

Does anyone here have an idea how I can get a working client from the
beginning on? Also, I do not even know if this is some kind of kde problem
or rather a nfs problem. After all, it is rather annoying do have to login
and umount/remount several times before everything works. :-)

cu
  Gerrit