ZFS scrub/selfheal not really working

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Fri May 29 13:32:10 UTC 2009

* James R. Van Artsdalen (james-freebsd-fs2 at jrv.org) wrote:

> No, don't throw bad hardware away!  Save it for testing - it's much
> harder to find hardware with intermittent failures that may be useful
> for testing than hardware that is dead or doesn't fail in a short amount
> of time.

I think geom class will be more useful for this (predictable results)
maybe I should try writing one sometime. I my case I suspect power
supply, as it's stoch 400W which came with the chassis, and maybe (/very
likely) it doesn't support enough current on +12V line for 7 hdds.

> The old sectors are not freed if they are referenced by snapshots or
> clones.  Vacating a block would be a very expensive operation for ZFS in
> the general case.

In either case, I expect errors disappear after scrub, as in here:
http://blogs.sun.com/timc/resource/zfs-slide.jpg
and I don't see it.

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3 at jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru