RFT: ZFS MFC

Kip Macy kmacy at freebsd.org
Wed May 27 04:38:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Kai Gallasch <gallasch at free.de> wrote:
> Kip Macy wrote:
>> I've MFC'd ZFS v13 to RELENG_7 in a work branch. Please test if you can.
>>
>> http://svn.freebsd.org/base/user/kmacy/ZFS_MFC/
>>
>> The standard disclaimers apply. This has only been lightly tested in a
>> VM. Please do not use it with data you care about at this time.
>>

> Hi.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/common/zfs/zfs_prop.c
>
> So ZFS v13 is now part of RELENG_7 MAIN.
> Did you receive any negative feedback until now?
>
> zpool upgrade:
> Should a ZFS v6 pool be upgraded through 'zpool upgrade' while in use?
>
> loader.conf:
> My old loader.conf (7.2-STABLE-amd64) settings for zfs:
>
> vm.kmem_size="3072M"
> vm.kmem_size_max="3072M"
> vfs.zfs.arc_min="120795878"
> vfs.zfs.arc_max="2899101078"
> # more stability?
> vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1
>
> Is there a need to keep the old (painfully found :) known to work
> settings when upgrading from ZFS v6 to v13 on RELENG_7, because in your
> commit message I read: "- the arc now experiences backpressure from the
> vm (which can be too much - but this allows ZFS to work without any
> tunables on amd64)"

Machines with less than 4GB, especially those with workloads with poor
locality,  should have prefetch disabled. You should not need the
other tunables on amd64 (i386 is both a lower priority and a harder
problem). When reporting problems report them with the tunables
removed as well as whatever your existing tunables are.

-Kip