booting from GPT

Lucius Windschuh lwindschuh at googlemail.com
Tue May 19 19:35:38 UTC 2009

2009/5/19 Artis Caune <artis.caune at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm playing with GPT on amd64/stable7 (r192123).
>
> My workstation (no-name, Core2duo), IBM T60 laptop and IBM x3650/x3550
> servers are booting fine, but Intel Entry Server (SE7230NH1-E) can not
> boot:
>    "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"
>
> kernel is compiled with:
>  # Default partitioning schemes
> -options        GEOM_BSD
> -options        GEOM_MBR
> +options        GEOM_PART_BSD
> +options        GEOM_PART_MBR
>
> and bootable install usb is created with:
>
> # dev="da0"
> # gpart create -s GPT ${dev}
> # gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr ${dev}
> # gpart add -b 34 -s 128 -t freebsd-boot ${dev}
> # gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ${dev}
> # gpart add -b 162 -s $(gpart show ${dev} |grep 'free -' |awk '{print
> $2}') -t freebsd-ufs ${dev}
> # newfs -n ${dev}p2
>

> Maybe box is too old?

I ran into a similar problem with an Atom board here.
The problem was here that the BIOS sees a MBR partition table (the
protective MBR with 1 GPT partition) without a booblable partition.
If you mark this GPT partition to bootable inside the protective MBR
with sfdisk on ${dev} or something similar, it should work.

Lucius
Lucius