Booting from ZFS raidz

Jonathan Noack noackjr at alumni.rice.edu
Sat May 16 00:34:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 10:25, Doug Rabson wrote:
> I fixed a bug in the patch. Try this version:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dfr/raidzboot-14052009.diff

I know the bug fix was for booting from degraded pools, but I can at least
give you a "no regression" report.  I just set up a new amd64 box and was
able to boot from a raidz1 pool using your latest patch.

Getting this working from scratch was tedious but not too complicated.  I
followed lulf's instructions
(http://blogs.freebsdish.org/lulf/2008/12/16/setting-up-a-zfs-only-system/)
using the May snapshot fixit CD.  Only differences were that I set up all
4 disks with gpart (identically), created a raidz1 pool, and used a
patched gptzfsboot that I cross-compiled on my 7.2 i386 box for the
bootcode (applied to all 4 disks).

If only I had remembered to patch my /usr/src tree before rebuilding world
and rebooting... *sigh*  Once more unto the fixit breach... :)

-Jon