support quality (Re: dump | restore fails: unknown tape headertype 1853384566)

Jack L. Stone jacks at sage-american.com
Thu Mar 26 10:23:52 PDT 2009

At 10:46 AM 3.26.2009 -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
>Jake Scott wrote:
>>
>>> That said there are plenty of other reasos to use proper dump tools
>>> (data portability, confirming the ability to actually read all rows
>>> from a table, using a more often exercised code path and perhaps less
>>> likely to have edge case bugs, etc).

This thread has drifted off the main issue of using the FS dump/restore
problem.

Although, the DBs may be included as a part of this dump, it should NOT be
relied upon as a backup/restore of DBs. We use MySQL's dump/backup tools
strictly for the DBs. The dumps of the DBs (using MySQL's own dump tool)
here are run by cron jobs every hour or few hours at most. That keeps our
DB backups very recent and near current as possible is a restore is needed.

Jack

(^_^)
Happy trails,
Jack L. Stone