dump | restore fails: unknown tape header type 1853384566

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Mar 24 19:02:22 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 11:48:56 Mikhail T. wrote:
> Andrew Snow написав(ла):
> > Mikhail T. wrote:
> >>    dump 0aCf 64  /ibm/ibmo.0.2009-03-24.dump /old
> >>      DUMP: WARNING: should use -L when dumping live read-write
> >> filesystems!
> >
> > I thought you said it was a read-only filesystem?
>
> It was yesterday. Today I remounted it rw to remove some junk-files,
> which I don't need to transfer. I don't believe, this is causing the
> problems.
>
> > In my experience, restore can sometimes throw warnings if you dump a
> > live filesystem.  It might be causing your errors?  If possible, can
> > you try completely unmounting the filesystem you are dumping and
> > trying again?
>
> I don't think, restore can even figure this out, much less throw a
> warning -- it is dump, that complains... But the dump started this

restore will emit a warning if dump writes a stream that is out of order
because of a live file system but that is not what you are seeing.

> morning is still hanging (in sbwait) -- I've never seen this before. I'm
> also very troubled, that such an important functionality (dump/restore!)
> is sooo problem-prone, and yet so few people seem to care...

Well, "works for me".

> Is the official view, that dump is obsolete (and already bit-rotten),
> perhaps, and use of tar is encouraged instead?

I've never had dump fail but it IS rather crusty and slow.. That said tar
doesn't cover all the information I believe.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum