ZFS move from FreeBSD to Opensolaris ?

Hussain Ali hali at datapipe.net
Tue Mar 24 08:09:03 PDT 2009

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone has had success in migrating an external zpool
from FreeBSD 7.x to OpenSolaris. Currently, I am testing this out with
Vmware and while I can export/ import the pool on FreeBSD VM's , I
haven't had much success with in Vmware to date :

freebsd# zpool import
  pool: tank
    id: 7702735926967895150
 state: ONLINE
action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier.
config:

        tank        ONLINE
          da1       ONLINE
          da2       ONLINE
          da3       ONLINE
          da4       ONLINE

opensolaris:~# zpool import
  pool: tank
    id: 7702735926967895150
 state: UNAVAIL
status: One or more devices contains corrupted data.
action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-5E
config:

        tank        UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas
          c4t1d0s8  UNAVAIL  corrupted data
          c4t2d0s2  UNAVAIL  corrupted data
          c4t3d0s8  UNAVAIL  corrupted data
          c4t4d0s8  UNAVAIL  corrupted data

On a tangent, I can go from Mac -> OpenSolaris. I am guessing this maybe
due to lack of EFI/GPT labels on the geom providers. This may also be
an issue with how vmware does virtual disks, so I am going to test out
some real hardware, but if anyone else has first hand experience I would
appreciate the input.

--
-hussain

This message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this message.  See http://www.datapipe.com/emaildisclaimer.aspx for further information on confidentiality and the risks of non-secure electronic communication. If you cannot access these links, please notify us by reply message and we will send the contents to you.