read/write benchmarking: UFS2 vs ZFS vs EXT3 vs ZFS RAIDZ vs Linux MDRAID

Andrew Snow andrew at modulus.org
Sun Jun 28 08:16:23 UTC 2009

 > Contiguous Write Performance:

http://virtual.tehinterweb.net/livejournal/2009-06-22_zfs_diskperf/zfs-diskperf-contig-write.png

What confuses me about these results is that the '5 disk' performance
was barely higher than the 'single disk' performance.  All figures are
also lower than I get from a single modern SATA disk.

My own testing with dd from /dev/zero with FreeBSD ZFS an Intel ICH10
chipset motherboard with Core2duo 2.66ghz showed RAIDZ performance
scaling linearly with number of disks:

What               Write   Read
7 disk RAIDZ2      220     305
6 disk RAIDZ2      173     260
5 disk RAIDZ2      120     213

Only the on-board controllers were used, with Seagate disks of around
250GB capacity.  System had 8GB RAM.  These results are so different in
absolute terms to your results that I don't know how to interpret your set.

- Andrew