7.2-STABLE: swap on ZFS v13

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 10:34:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Simun Mikecin<numisemis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dan Naumov wrote:
>> Pardon my perhaps stupid question, but what exactly does the "-o
>> org.freebsd:swap=on" option do? Couldn't find anything related during
>> a quick glance at the zfs manpage (on a 7.2-release/amd64 system with
>> zfsv6).
> Take a look at /etc/rc.d/zfs.
> Since /etc/fstab is not a supported way for adding swap on zvols, /etc/rc.d/zfs script (executed during boot if you have zfs_enable="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf[.local]) will execute "swapon" on all zvols that have org.freebsd:swap=on.

Oh, right. Kinda weird though that this is already included in
/etc/rc.d/zfs already if "swap on ZFS" is considered even more
experimental than ZFS support itself. Is this documented anywhere or
is it just one of the things you learn by reading rc.d scripts? :) Out
of curiosity, what kind of horrible breakage should I expect if I try
enabling swap on a zvol using zfsv6 that comes with 7.2-release?

- Dan Naumov