ufs2 / softupdates / ZFS / disk write cache

Andrew Snow andrew at modulus.org
Sun Jun 21 22:51:31 UTC 2009

Dan Naumov wrote:
>>> Or:
>>> B) use SCSI instead of ATA disks
>>> C) use UFS+gjournal instead of UFS+SU
>>> D) use ZFS instead of UFS+SU
>> All of these solutions still involve disabling of write cache, with a performance hit of varying degrees. (I have tried all of those except gjournal!)

B) SCSI drives come with write caching disabled by default.  But here,
the performance loss is partially made up by Tagged Command Queueing and
  faster spindle speeds

C) gjournal needs to flush the disk cache regularly to maintain
consistence. It doesn't need to do it as often but on a write-heavy
system it isn't ideal for performance because it flushes everything in
the cache and not just the journal.

D) ZFS - same as (C)

> who on earth is going to accept 2-4 MB/s write speeds from
> a modern disk in 2009?

eg. remote headless systems which don't do much (DNS server) :-)

- Andrew