Logical Disk to Physical Drive Mapping

Barry Pederson bp at barryp.org
Fri Jun 12 22:15:25 UTC 2009

Peter Jones wrote:
> Given the situation where you have several identical physical drives,
> what is the best way to turn logical labels such as da5 into a physical
> identifier like "the drive in slot 4"?
>
> It looks like I could use dmesg, some assumptions, and glabel to label
> the logical disks.  However, I plan to use ZFS and as far as I can tell
> glabel doesn't support ZFS.
>
> What is the de facto way of doing this?  I'll be using FreeBSD-CURRENT
> for this, btw.

I've glabeled disks and then added them to ZFS pools, seems to work
fine.  Here's a raidz2 setup of 8 identical glabeled drives on 7.2

--------
# zpool status
   pool: tank
  state: ONLINE
  scrub: none requested
config:

	NAME              STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	tank              ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz2          ONLINE       0     0     0
	    label/15_01   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    label/15_02   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    label/15_03   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    label/15_04   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    label/15_05   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    label/15_06   ONLINE       0     0     0
	    label/15_07a  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    label/15_08   ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
------

	Barry