Want to install FreeBSD - need advice on Writable filesystems?

samankaya at netscape.net samankaya at netscape.net
Tue Jun 2 21:51:24 UTC 2009

freebsd-fs at freebsd.org

 Many thanks for all your suggestions and advice!!!!

I think I will research into BSD 8 and either use that or wait for BSD 7.3 to come out as I think that BSD 8 might be development although I don't have a problem with that since I am going to install SXCE any way which is testing line of Solaris just under SXDE.

I do not like the idea of ZFS file system on my desktop with 1GB or RAM so I guess I will use the larger master drive as ZFS with /home on it and then my smaller slave with UFS and UFS2 on different partitions for Solaris and BSD root / consecutively. Then get them both to use the same swap space and I should be ok.......

As for the hyper visors I have researched them and they seem to be really cool with better computer equipment then my desktop, so not for now. Especially since they require 64-bit CPU architecture and 4GB RAM min.

I am quite excited as BSD looks really cool and there's of course the great Solaris which I really like too so all is good. I only need to burn about 60GB of DVD's before hand to make this thing happen but it's not a problem, since I have no good backup solution I am always burning DVD's lol. :-)

Best regards,

Kaya