Booting from ZFS raidz

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sat Jan 31 23:24:41 PST 2009

On 2008-Dec-17 18:25:51 +0000, Doug Rabson <dfr at rabson.org> wrote:
>I've been working on adding raidz and raidz2 support to the boot code
>and I have a patch which could use some testing if anyone here is
>interested. This http://people.freebsd.org/~dfr/
>raidzboot-17122008.diff adds support for raidz and raidz2. The easiest
>way to prepare a bootable pool is to put a GPT boot partition on each
>disk that will make up the raidz pool and install gptzfsboot on the
>boot partition of every drive.

This sounds great so I thought I'd try it.  Unfortunately, it didn't
work on my degraded pool [ZFS managed to kill a disk and I thought I'd
experiment].  When I tried to boot, I got:
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: can't read MOS
ZFS: unexpected object set type lld

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: tank:/boot/loader
boot:

The boot loader is up-to-date and was built with 'LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT'.
Any ideas?

--
Peter Jeremy