Booting from ZFS raidz

Nikolay Denev ndenev at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 07:47:59 PST 2009

On 12 Jan, 2009, at 12:35 , Nikolay Denev wrote:

> I was able to boot from the raidz pool, and now I have working 7.1-
> STABLE install booting off raidz pool. Sweet!
> The problem was that I had "export"ed the pool, and gptzfsboot was
> not able to find it. I had to boot from the LiveFS CD,
> zpool import it, reboot and everything worked.
>
> Now I can only wait for ZFS v13 to hit -STABLE :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> - --
> Regards,
> Nikolay Denev

Hi Doug,

I have just tested how the loader will handle a device failure, and it
failed.
Here is some info about my setup :
The machine has six hot-plug sata drives configured as passthru on a
3Ware controller.
There is gptzfsboot installed on their first guid partition, and the
rest is for
the ZFS raidz1 pool from which the machine boots successfully.
I tested yanking the first drive while the machine was up. A few
seconds later the
3ware controller saw that device was disconnected and printed some
info about this on the console,
immediately after that ZFS reported missing vdev and the pool went to
DEGRADED mode.
Then I rebooted the machine to see if the loader will correctly boot
off the degraded pool and this
is what I got on the console :

     ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
     ZFS: can't read object set for dataset lld
     Can't find root filesystem - giving up
     ZFS: unexpected object set type lld
     ZFS: unexpected object set type lld

     FreeBSD/i386 boot
     Default: zfs:/boot/kernel/kernel
     boot:
     ZFS: unexpected object set type lld

Then I booted off the LiveFS CD, imported the pool (with the
previously removed disk inserted),
it resilvered automaticaly, then I scrubbed it without errors and
rebooted again... but the loader
continues to emit the same messages.

- --
Regards,