kern/131743: utf-8 file names of ext2 partitions cause problems

Elmar Stellnberger estellnb at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 16 10:50:02 PST 2009

The following reply was made to PR kern/131743; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Elmar Stellnberger <estellnb at googlemail.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, jh at saunalahti.fi
Subject: Re: Re: kern/131743: utf-8 file names of ext2 partitions cause problems
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:50:45 +0000

 --------------070101080609050401060407

 Basically I would expect the utf8 file system option to convert from
 utf8 to whatever charset is selected by default at the moment.
 I will have to have another look on how to enable utf8 on FreeBSD.
 Previously consulted web resources have not worked as expected.
 Nevertheless if enabling utf8 as default charset is all I need to do in
 order to view and access these files correctly that should be fine for me.
 thx for any further hint.

 On 2009-02-16, Elmar Stellnberger wrote:

 > > FreeBSD refuses to mount ext2 partitions with the iocharset=utf8 and
 > > utf8 options. The consequence are not only wrongly displayed file
 > > names.

 I don't think this is a bug. For me FreeBSD ext2fs works fine with UTF-8
 encoded file names providing that you have configured locale settings
 correctly.

 Do you expect "iocharset=utf8" and "utf8" mount options to convert
 file names to some other encoding? AFAIK even Linux doesn't support such
 options for ext2.

 -- Jaakko

 --------------070101080609050401060407

 <head>
 </head>
 Basically I would expect the utf8 file system option to convert from
 utf8 to whatever charset is selected by default at the moment.<br>
 I will have to have another look on how to enable utf8 on FreeBSD.
 Previously consulted web resources have not worked as expected.<br>
 Nevertheless if enabling utf8 as default charset is all I need to do in
 order to view and access these files correctly that should be fine for
 me.<br>
 thx for any further hint.<br>
  style="font-family: -moz-fixed; font-size: 12px;" lang="x-western">