ZFS prefetch problem

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Dec 31 22:37:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009, jhell wrote:

>> looks good.
>> tested on 8-STABLE amd64, with/without log/cache ssd. (but not with
>> zil_disable)
>>

> Thanks for the heads up on this. I have applied the following to a stable/7
> system @r201336 "The obrien new year copyright ;)" and will write back with
> further results.

Now if someone can figure out how to crank up (double) the prefetch
rate for my little test, I would be happy.  145MB/second is not nearly
enough, especially if zfs can sometimes deliver 5X (or more) that
rate.

The read performance I see here (under Solaris 10) is very similar to
the numbers posted by Mickaël Maillot.  In fact initial read
performance values posted by many others was almost the same,
regardless of how many drives are available (e.g. 2 or 48 SAS drives).
This suggests that zfs is not accellerating prefetch fast enough to
make much difference for 8GB files.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn