snapshot implementation

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Dec 23 16:41:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Patrick Proniewski wrote:

> By the way, I'm also interested in ZFS: is the snapshot technology
> available in ZFS the same as the one available in UFS?

I don't know anything about snapshots in UFS, but snapshots in ZFS are
certainly remarkably different.  ZFS uses copy-on-write (COW) whenever
a data block is updated and snapshot creation simply adds a new
reference to existing blocks.  The snapshot is made available as a
(usually) hidden directory (/filesystem/.zfs/snapshot/snapname) which
contains the complete filesystem content at the time the snapshot was
taken.  In my experience, ZFS snapshots usually take less than a
second to complete.  They are so efficient that some systems have
snapshots scheduled to be taken every five minutes as a defense
against user/application error.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn