ZFS: Can't repair raidz2 (Cannot replace a replacing device)

Rich rincebrain at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 01:41:54 UTC 2009

http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/freebsd-fs/2009/9/30/6457763 may be
useful to you - it's what we did when we got stuck in a resilver loop.
I recall being in the same state you're in right now at one point, and
getting out of it from there.

I think if you apply that patch, you'll be able to cancel the
resilver, and then resilver again with the device you'd like to
resilver with.

- Rich

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> wrote:
> Steven Schlansker wrote:
>>
>> As a corollary, you may notice some funky concat business going on.
>> This is because I have drives which are very slightly different in size (<
>>  1MB)
>> and whenever one of them goes down and I bring the pool up, it helpfully
>> (?)
>> expands the pool by a whole megabyte then won't let the drive back in.
>> This is extremely frustrating... is there any way to fix that?  I'm
>> eventually going to keep expanding each of my drives one megabyte at a
>> time
>> using gconcat and space on another drive!  Very frustrating...
>
> You can avoid it by partitioning the drives to the well known 'minimal' size
> (size of smallest disk) and use the partition instead of raw disk.
> For example ad12s1 instead of ad12 (if you creat slices by fdisk)
> of ad12p1 (if you creat partitions by gpart)
>
> You can also use labels instead of device name.
>
> Miroslav Lachman

If you are over 80 years old and accompanied by your parents, we will
cash your check.