Plans for Logged/Journaled UFS

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 22 00:01:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

>> gjournal(8) journals everything, that is all data and metadata are
>> journaled. Which can help with random writes, but essentially cuts linear
>> write throughput in half.
>
> I recall ext3fs also journals everything by default and still is very
> popular.
>
> I am asking because I've been playing a bit with Aditya's ext2fs (mostly
> UFS1) and one of the ideas there is adding gjournal support instead of
> starting from scratch.

I'm CC'ing Jeff Roberson, who perhaps can comment on his on-going project to
merge journaling techniques with soft updates in UFS (which is just meta-data
journaling, but hopefully will address many of the fsck/bgfsck-related
concerns people have).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge