ZFS, compression, system load, pauses (livelocks?)

Jonathan jonathan at kc8onw.net
Wed Dec 16 05:05:28 UTC 2009

I seem to have run into the same problem with

"2) long pauses, in what looks like vfs.zfs.txg.timeout second intervals"
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2009-December/007343.html

In my case 50-100% CPU is used by ZFS with *no* disk activity during the
pauses then a burst of rapid disk activity and then another pause.  I'm
also not running compression on the file system that I am writing to so
I don't think it's something specific to compression.

Has anyone had any luck finding a solution or are people still just
patching around it for now?

I dropped vfs.zfs.txg.timeout from 30 to 5 seconds and my throughput is
far better, but still sawtoothed.  The actual data transfer "teeth" are
much closer together but still seem to be spaced at vfs.zfs.txg.timeout
intervals.  When transferring data I see about 50% of a 1gb link which
drops to 0 during the pauses.  Based on gstat my disks spend maybe 1/4
of their time busy so I doubt my array is the limiting factor in this
situation.

I'm running 8-stable r200414 right now and I don't remember having this
problem with 8-beta releases so maybe something has changed recently
that triggered this?

Jonathan Stewart

Sorry for the broken threading.  I've added freebsd-fs to my
subscription list so I will be able to follow the rest of the discussion
on the list.