zfs receive gives: internal error: Argument list too long

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 14 15:47:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 12:08:54PM +0100, Borja Marcos wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2009, at 9:51 PM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 09:51:46PM +0100, Ronald Klop wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I'm forwarding this, because there was no answer on freebsd-stable.
> >>
> >>Does anybody know about this and have some tips on how to solve it?
> >
> >Could you try this patch:
> >
> >	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/zfs_recv_E2BIG.patch
>
> It's caused a panic for me on 8.0-RC2/amd64. Seems a new problem,
> never saw a panic in this situation before.
>
> How to reproduce: With /usr/src and /usr/obj in a dataset, just
>
> cd /usr/src
> make clean
>
> Instant panic, in less than 20 seconds.
>
> Trying to get panic information, unfortunately I'm running on VMWare
> Fussion and the silly thing doesn't offer the equivalent of a serial
> console.

Martin, this is the panic report I was refering to. Could you please try
to reproduce it? Maybe first with my patch to confirm it is reproducible
and then with your patch to confirm it has no such problem?
I'd be very grateful if you could do that. I don't want something to go
into the tree if there might be a problem with the patch.