glabel for ufs: size check is overzealous?

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Wed Apr 22 13:36:36 UTC 2009

on 22/04/2009 16:12 Ivan Voras said the following:
> 2009/4/22 Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua>:
>> on 22/04/2009 16:08 Ivan Voras said the following:
>>> If nothing checks it and everything works, I'd say it's usefulness is
>>> a bit limited...
>> ufs driver doesn't check it, the driver *uses* it, so... :-)
>
> But as you said, fsck will not fix an invalid value?

It won't, because it can not know the correct value and it is probably not able to
safely derive it from anything. Filesystem size is supposed to always stay
immutable (modulo growfs), so if this type of corruption happens to superblock,
then one has quite a big problem and possibly some fun time with disk editor.

--
Andriy Gapon