zfs and moving devices

Wes Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Mon Apr 13 00:34:48 PDT 2009

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Tobias C. Berner wrote:

> I have a zfs pool
>
> 	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
> 	multimedia  ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  ad8       ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  ad10      ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  ad12      ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  ad14      ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> Now, I need more sata-connecters. If I activate
> an other onboard-controller, the device names
> move:
>
>   ad8  -> ad14
>   ad10 -> ad16
>   ad12 -> ad18
>   ad14 -> ad20
>

> What is the proper way to handle this in zfs?

Export the pool before you make the change and it should work no problem.
You may want to enable ATA_STATIC_ID as well so you won't have to worry
about it either.

On another note, that's a 4 device pool with no redundancy. Make sure you
have frequent backups! I lost my "multimedia" pool once during a migration
and was very sad. Now I use raidz2.