gpt in-place editing

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Mon Sep 22 22:04:46 UTC 2008

On Sep 22, 2008, at 2:34 PM, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:

> MM> > It does not seem gpart wants allow me to delete da0p3 while
> disk is
> MM> > active...
> MM>
> MM> You probably have swapon and/or dumpon to set to the partition.
> MM> You can't remove a partition that is in use.
> MM>
> MM> Run "swapoff /dev/da0p3" and/or "dumpon off" first.
>
> Of course I did run swapoff; I'm not sure I did dumpoff, and
> unfortunately I
> did not run it under script(1). gpt (I did test under RELENG_7) does
> the trick,
> but --
>
> However, we clearly have at least one bug: not creating da* device
> (for da0p5
> in my case)

You can't make that claim. You've forced the issue
by setting debugflags and bypassing gpart. As such,
gpart is unaware of the new partition (it wasn't
involved in the creation) and it isn't being made
aware, because the underlying geom isn't spoiled
(which would trigger a retaste).

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt at mac.com