how to cache nfs file in local disk

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Wed Sep 3 14:19:37 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, ProAce wrote:

> The question I posted on freebsd-question last week, maybe I post
> wrong mailing list. I describe the question here again.   :)
>
> In order to reduce the throughput and ops for nas server, I just want
> to cache file from nfs to nfs client's local disk.
> And the cache system can controller the total size of cache file
> automatically ( the capacity of nas is more more more larger than
> local disk ).
>
> There are the cachefs on Solaris and FS-Cache on RedHat can cache file
> from nfs to local disk, does any similar software can be run on
> FreeBSD?
Since no one else has answered, I toss out "None that I am aware of".

I am planning on doing some work caching files on local disk when they
are delegated to the client, but that will be NFSv4 specific and at least
next summer before it is available. I also consider it experimental work,
so it may never end up usable in a near production environment.

To be honest, for LAN environments, ny hunch is that local disk caching
will only help if the client keeps accessing the same files over and over
again. But that's just a hunch at this point.

rick